Thursday, August 28, 2008

District Meeting!

This morning i attended our district orientation! EISD is the same as i remember! They have high expectations and are a great group of people! I am extremely excited to be working there this semester! I can't wait to get started and learn everything i can! Even after all these years of classes i feel like there is just so much more to learn! There is always room for growth!

They stressed building relationships the most! Not just with students, but with other teachers, principles, staff and the community! Westlake is like a small town and people talk and it is important to be well represented in that community! He even mentioned attending the WHS football games! How much do you think it would take for me to get Bo to go with me lol!!

Of course confidentiality is extremely important in my profession as well and they emphasised that strongly! Not only can you not use names but you can't say things that may lead people to think it may be a student! It is a tight nit community and if you say something in line at the store, or Post it on the Internet you can be severely punished for it! So as much as i Love to share my passion for teaching and the students, there of course will be a lot that i cannot!

They did have me worried about getting a job in the district! They hired about 68 new teachers this past year and not just 1st year teachers but people changing districts and very seasoned teachers. They said they had over 2,000 applications to choose from! The key now is to make myself marketable! I am thinking of adding a special ed component, but i don't know how to do that! I wish i would have done that like two years ago and just tacked it in with my normal coursework! We can just take the TExES exam and get the certification but i don't think i would be prepared for that! I only took one special ed class and it was just very basic! Another thing i wish i would have done is just work with students more! I know I have a lot of experience working with students but they said that they are obviously going to choose the people who have worked with kids more than the person who worked at Chili's through college....Well i still work at Third Base and let me tell ya I don't think they count drunk sports fans and children! Even if they act like it at times! lol!

I'm working on my intro letter to the Parents in my class! It's hard to put myself in their shoes and think about what i would want to know! How do i assure them that even though I'm a new teacher their students education will be top notch! I would be scared to hear that for two weeks the certified teacher is giving her class over to a new one! I've made it look more like a newsletter its pretty cute! I just want to start off on the right foot with these parents! Parents are key in the EISD community!

Well tonight Bo comes back!! I've missed him so much! Cooper will be happy to! He's been looking a little lonely! I don't play as well as Bo does! I've got to go be a good girl now and do some dishes woo!!

Oh btw!!! Does everyone like the upgrades! I got bored yesterday lol!! And i just want to say i am so happy that I've inspired some of my friends to start blogs!! I can't wait to read them all and keep in touch!

3 comments:

randamocity said...

i bet your kids will love you!!

your blog is super cute, but the music thing covers half the entry on my computer...is it just on mine?

lovie love!

Stephreese said...

Thanks randa! I am very excited to start!!!

On mine it just stays like in the margin area and 1/2 of it you can't see lol! I'll ask around about what it does on other peoples computers!

Shelly said...

Steph--Really interesting about EISD. I'd be happy to look over your newsletter to the parents if you want a parental perspective. ;) I'm sure it's great!
Yeah, the music thing covers a good chunk of the entry on mine--maybe not half, but I couldn't read the last paragraph in the most recent entry b/c the music covered it, if that makes sense. But, regardless, I am loving the blog!